In 2007 traditional orchards were designated as a Priority Habitat under the UK Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP). One of the first aims of the Habitat Action Plan (HAP) is to create a habitat inventory to provide a baseline to:
- enable future changes to be measured; and
- identify priorities for future conservation actions.
The People’s Trust for Endangered Species, supported by Natural England, has now created a provisional inventory of traditional orchards throughout England.
- Sets out the aims of the Traditional Orchard Inventory Project.
- Gives details of the methodology used to map the habitat.
- Discusses the outcomes of the work.