Biodiversity Metric 2.0 has been updated and replaced by Biodiversity Metric 3.0 which was published on the 7th July 2021.Biodiversity Metric 3.0 introduces a number of improvements and corrects some issues associated with metric 2.0. The new Biodiversity Metric 3.0 will be the metric that underpins the Environment Bill’s provisions for mandatory biodiversity net gain in England, subject to any necessary adjustments for application to major infrastructure projects.
A summary of the differences between metric 2.0 and metric 3.0 is available for download on the Biodiversity Metric 3.0 page
Projects currently using biodiversity metric 2.0 are advised to continue to do so unless requested otherwise by their client or consenting body as the biodiversity units values generated by metric 2.0 and metric 3.0 may differ for their scheme or landholding.
The Biodiversity Metric 2.0 provides a way of measuring and accounting for biodiversity losses and gains resulting from development or land management change. Biodiversity Metric 2.0 updates and replaces the original Defra biodiversity metric. Biodiversity Metric 2.0 has been developed with input from a wide range of environmental NGOs, developers, land managers, Government agencies and other interested parties.
Biodiversity Metric 2.0 is being published as a 'beta test’ version to enable wider user feedback (see below). The metric comes with a free calculation tool designed to simplify and speed-up the whole calculation process
The Biodiversity Metric 2.0 encompasses both area (e.g. grasslands) and linear (such as rivers and streams) habitats. The metric has been expanded to ensure that common green infrastructure features are included. However, it does not yet include inter-tidal habitats. These will be added into the metric and the calculation tool later in 2019. The metric currently utilises a default approach to calculating connectivity pending publication of a connectivity tool later in 2019.
The following documents are being published to support the Biodiversity Metric 2.0:
- Biodiversity Metric 2.0: Calculation tool (spreadsheet) – updated December 2019
- Biodiversity Metric 2.0: Calculation tool – short user guide
- Biodiversity Metric 2.0: User guide (detailed)
- Biodiversity Metric 2.0: Technical supplement (which includes habitat condition assessments)
- Biodiversity Metric 2.0: Intertidal habitats guidance – beta test (published December 2019)
- Biodiversity Metric 2.0: Connectivity Tool Guidance (published December 2019)
- Biodiversity Metric Connectivity Tool (BMCT) 2.0 – Auto Install Version (published December 2019)
- Biodiversity Metric Connectivity Tool (BMCT) 2.0 – Manual Install Version (published December 2019)
- Reference Habitat Folder – for use with the Biodiversity Metric Connectivity Tool (published December 2019)
UPDATES TO THE CALCULATION TOOL (December 19th 2019)
Please be aware that the updated version of the calculation tool published on the 19th December 2019 includes the following corrections/fixes
• All intertidal habitats are now included in the calculation tool
• Detailed results incorrectly displaying off site habitat data or indicating off site habitat present when none entered
• Off-site retained habitat not correctly accounted for in results
• Incorrect condition selection dropdown within the accelerated succession tab
• Hedgerow length lookup not referencing the correct cell
• Hidden rows in the enhancement tabs when entering enhancement area in the baseline tab without first expanding the number of rows in the enhancement tab
• Canal data lookups on rivers metric
14th JANUARY 2020 – edited a typographical error in the intertidal guidance to change the high connectivity score from 1.5 to 1.15. Note -the correct (1.15) score is used in the calculation tool, the error was confined to the guidance document.