This research had the following objectives:
- To review the available information on fine sediment yields in catchments of relevance to the UK.
- To review management approaches to target-setting for fine sediment control adopted in other countries.
- To provide a rationale for the use of fine sediment yields in the definition of environmental status consistent with favourable condition and good ecological status of aquatic habitats.
- Where possible, provide best estimates of critical sediment yields in different catchment types.
- To recommend further work aimed at developing a refined procedure for determining critical sediment yields.