Defra launched a public consultation on Wednesday 25 August about the approach to the release and management of beavers into the wild in England, following a successful reintroduction trial of beavers in Devon. The 12-week consultation is supported by the publication of the following papers:
• Natural England’s advice and recommendations for beaver reintroduction, management and licensing in England (NEER019);
• A review of the evidence on the interactions of beavers with the natural and human environments in relation to England (NEER0017), delivered to Defra in early December;
• Beaver reintroductions in England 2000 – 2021 (a brief history of beaver reintroduction over the last two decades) (JP036);
• Disease Risk Analysis for the Conservation Translocation of the Eurasian Beaver (Castor fiber) to England (NECR345);
• Definition of Favourable Conservation Status (FCS) for Eurasian beaver (RP2949);
• Social dimensions of beaver reintroduction in England: qualitative research pilot – A summary of key findings (NECR323);
• The River Otter Beaver Trial: Natural England’s assessment of the trial and advice on the future of the beaver population (NEER018).
All papers are available on this page under 'Related resources’.